Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ewww...gross!

Though my mood and outlook on my healing has continued to improve, unfortunately my infection has not.  I went back to the doctor for another follow up and it is still not healed. I didn't need a doctor to figure that out. There is a lot of fluid built up around my incision site that is just not going away. I finished a 14 day round of antibiotics on Sunday and it hasn't worsened but hasn't improved either. My skin is still discolored. So, the doctor decide to take some fluid out to send it off to be analyzed so they can figure out what exact bacteria is in there to match up the right antibiotic with it. I have no idea why my boobs have such issues with infections and healing. If you've been with me for a while you'll remember my posts about my issues while breast feeding and my resistance to typical antibiotics. Weird. It was a good doctor's visit as he cleared me to pick up Carter and go back to work on Tuesday. He also said I could do some *light* weight lifting and slow running. He said too much arm motion with speed work or heavy lifting would be too much for my healing pec muscle. Ha-lucky for me I run slow!

The gross part is how he....uhhh....collected the fluid so stop reading if you are squeamish. He stuck a need in that area and sucked it out. I am wincing just typing this. I obviously looked away and wanted no part of seeing this take place in the exam room. I am totally numb so I felt no pain, which is at least one benefit of having no sensation in that area! Since the infection has compromised the skin so much he is really not ready to talk at ALL about my next surgery and getting the real implants. He just wants my skin to heal and then we'll go from there. I told you I was impatient! I go back in 3 weeks to see how I am doing. It turns out I do need at least one expander fill to fill up my expanders a little more. He said they over expand the skin so there is a nice pocket for the real implant to be in when the time comes.

It was a good appointment, despite going out in the pouring rain. I got groceries afterwards, got them to the car, and into the house all by myself and when I see Carter today you can bet the first thing I am going to do is pick her up and give her a big squeeze!

Snow is predicted and I would love nothing more than to suit up and head outside in the snow tomorrow to play with my 3 favorite people. Snow days are fun even when you are still on medical leave :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment